Camping can be a great option for traveling Italy on a budget. But what about the noise of camping activities, queues in the shower and tents pitched side by side? Camping villages and sites tend to get very crowded as many of them offer on average 150-200 pitches. But, as I have discovered, there are some camping places in Italy that offer peaceful alternatives with the “back to nature” philosophy. Here ia my list of the top 5 small camping sites in Italy:
1. Rocca di Sotto, Abruzzo – a nature mini-camping site with 17 grassy tent pitches under old olive trees for up to 40 people. The Dutch couple Willeke and Jan also have a small B&B here. They offer a lot of space for their guests, a vegetable garden to their disposal and lovely walks on their 10 hectares of land. With prices of €11 per pitch this is a real steal of a deal.
2. Agriturismo Grondola in Lunigiana, Tuscany is situated in the Northern part of Tuscany. This farmhouse offers just a few pitches under pine and chestnut trees with wooden picnic tables. There are also 3 apartments for up to 12 people, so the place never really gets crowded. You can enroll on a two-day art and painting course, visit nearby medieval villages or drive to the Ligurian sea, which is 40 mins away.
Photo by Agriturismo Grondola in Lunigiana
3. Kokopelli Camping, Abruzzo is a new kid on the block, however, they are already very popular and at the time of writing this post the camping site was fully booked for a month in advance. This camping doesn’t have marked pitches or electricity and can accommodate up to 10 tents. Guests can just pick a place they like and set up under the olive trees. The English couple who run Kokopelli are big outdoor enthusiasts and can suggest many activities nearby, such as hiking, rock climbing, canoeing. Prices start at €10 per person. You can also rent their beautiful bell tents or an old retired camper for extra comfort.
Photo by Kokopelli Camping
4. Le Carbonaie, Tuscany is a pretty tranquil farmhouse in the province of Pistoia with only 8 tent pitches that can accommodate around 30 people. The toilet and shower facilities are run on solar power here. There is a farm courtyard where children and adults can befriend donkeys, ducks, dogs and cats. The owner is a lumberjack, so you can watch him at work sorting out logs and making charcoals in the old traditional way. During the fruit season the farm sells tasty blueberries that are grown here. An absolute peace and a slow pace of life are guaranteed!
Photo by Le Carbonaie
5. Campeggio Calvello, Trentino has only 14 tent pitches for up to 50 people, however all comforts are here: hot showers (to use one you have to pay €1.50), a bar, BBQ area, garden with solarium. There many nature walks around in the woods and the mountains.